What are you reading? "Words of Fire" by Jennifer A. Nielsen

 

Source: Amazon

Noelia's contribution

Whoever recommended to me reading this book, I'm glad they did. Its reading made me plunge into Russian and Lithuanian history in the XIX century. What's more, it reminds me of how I discovered a new world through reading the first time a book fell into my hands.  

 The story is set in June 1893, when tsar Alexander III, emperor of Russia, decided to invade Lithuania a few years ago. His political ideologies were to impose the Russian language and culture on every single country Russia took under its control.  

 The heroine of this book is a teenager who has a secret mission to complete, delivering mysterious packages to different places.  

 I recommend it because this book encourages people to know more about historical events. Similarly, along the same line, its reading helps readers to understand the importance of respecting people's traditions and culture.  

 Besides this, I firmly believe this reading could push people who are studying English to read in this language because the story doesn't have a bunch of characters with intricate stories. As an English student, sometimes it's too complicated to find a proper reading if your English level isn't good enough. 

Youtube: Words on Fire by Jennifer A. Nielsen | Official Book Trailer

This is the author's official website: https://jennielsen.com/

Finally, I'd like to share these websites that explain who Alexander III was and the tsarist russification in Lithuania.

Other links:

> Britannica: Charlemagne biography

> Lituanus.org: LITHUANIA 1863-1893: TSARIST RUSSIFICATION AND THE BEGINNINGS OF THE MODERN LITHUANIAN NATIONAL MOVEMENT

> Britannica: Siauliai

Furthermore, I'd recommend these Ted-Talk videos explaining how human beings need to create an inclusive society, how books change our lives and how powerful reading is.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks a lot Noelia, I’m wishing to read it

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for your comment.
We are waiting for you soon!